Monday, November 2, 2015

Some expressions of sympathy today when I told the Infusion Room staff about my one hour trip home last Monday

My appointment this morning was at 10:00 and I arrived a few minutes early because the traffic was light and I didn't stop at very many traffic lights.  After registering I was sent to the hallway waiting area where Craig collect4ed me 20 minutes or so later and took me in for weighing and height measurement.  He then found me a seat in chair N0 1 in the Infusion Room to take the rest of my vitals and turn me over to Laurie, my nurse for the day.  Laurie had told me that last week that my blood work shows that I am right on the border of being able to have a 2-hour infusion instead of a 4-hour infusion of Aredia and she had sent an e-mail to Dr. Atanackovic asking him if he would approve the shorter infusion.  I don't know if he replied to that e-mail, but today she told me that he asked if I would substitute a different drug, the name of which I don't remember, that accomplishes the same thing as Aredia  and only takes seconds to infuse (much as the Velcade).  I told her that I accept all the advice of the doctors, and the nurses, so of course I would try it.  I am not scheduled for another infusion until January 19, which I made clear this morning to a new patient coordinator whose responsibility is scheduling infusions. 

Laurie had ordered my Velcade when she first saw me come in and said I shouldn't have the delays that I experienced last week, but she didn't go down to get it until almost 11:30.  She then put a line in my port and administered the drug, removed the line, and told me I could leave.  I told the young lady at the registration desk on my way out that I had thought about bringing in some candy left over from the Trick or Treaters on Halloween night because we only had one group consisting of two women, one man, and four children come and not until after 8:30.  I told them I was not surprised that other adults had not come with children earlier because of the sporting events going on that night and one of the ladies brightened up and confirmed that they had to wait to see how the game turned out.  I told the young lady that I would bring some next week.  We had purchased a 170 piece bag of chocolate candies and may have given away 10 pieces after I told the children to help themselves.

1 comment:

  1. The drug is zometa. Typically a 15 minute infusion. But I always ask for it over 30-40 minutes with saline before and after. Otherwise I get a headache and some flu like symptoms. It is though much quicker than aredia.

    ReplyDelete