Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Day eight of newest cycle yesterday saw significant changes to routine treatment program

The visit to the clinic began routinely with the exception that Emma and Karen accompanied me and Karen drove.  Susan collected me from the waiting area, took me into a small prep room  and put a line in my port and drew 2 vials of blood.  She the called Bethany to take me to an exam room for a meeting with Mary Steinbach.  Mary reminded me that I have fallen so much in the last two weeks that efforts are now being made to determine why I fall.  Mary began one such step by phasing me off MethylpreDREDNISolone over the next six weeks during which rime I will not be coming for Velcade.  A new patient coordinator,  Laura, had been summoned and was asked to try to get the February appointment with Dr. Atanackovic rescheduled to a much more current date, which finally became December 22.  Later one more vial of blood was drawn and the line removed from my port with no infusion.

I don't know who organized or completely staffs the 'brain trust' that is ordering my life now; but it seems to have begun with a Dr. Doyle, who is on the staff of the Wellness Center in the Huntsman Hospital and was moonlighting at the Intermountain Hospital ER on November 30 when I was taken there.  I had fallen twice in the evening while preparing to go upstairs to bed and knocked myself out and the paramedics summoned by Emma thought I might have had a stroke and they told her that Intermouintain does the best job on strokes.  I was unconscious until well after I had been put in a bed, but awake when I saw that Nancy had come and brought Emma to the hospital.  They did an EKG on me and a sonic scan of my brain, but did not tell me what they had learned, but with Dr. Doyle's concurrence told me there was no reason to keep me overnight and we could go home.  We didn't get there until almost 4:00 AM.

Dr. Doyle had made an appointment for me to see a Dr. Dunson, also on the staff  at the Huntsman, for 1:00 AM the next day.  He reviewed my history of falls and identified 15 things I shouldn't do or take and gave me a list of future appointments. I was to meet with Dr. Rebecca Wilson on
December 3 at 9:00 AM.  She prescribed home health care for us and a 2-wheel walker, which I am supposed to use all the time.  She also made an appointment for me at the Univ. of Utah Hospital Cardiology Center at 11:15 on December 15, which I didn't know about until I listened to a voice mail message that afternoon.  I hope this is all 'much ado about nothing' and that continued physical therapy will get me back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment