Monday, April 25, 2016

I will try to fill in some of the blanks in the blog since the March 21st post

Some noteworthy, even traumatic, events happened between the last 2 posts and I don't remember why I didn't think to post about them at the time(s).  One of these was the night of March 9 when I was transported to the ER at St. Marks Hospital.  I had been suffering with diarrhea all day and nausea much of the day and could not keep any of my dinner down.  This had been triggered by me taking a substitute medication for the omeprazole, which I had run out of and the new order from Humana's pharmacy had not arrived. (Side effects from the new pills were listed as diarrhea and nausea, which had begun almost as soon as I began taking them, and got steadily worse, until that evening.)  I had thrown up all over myself while sitting on the Family Room couch and Emma could not help me get me up so she called Nancy and the two of them called 911 again.  I spent the night in  Marks Hospital after they could not determine what was wrong and found a room for me.  I was discharged the next morning and told to go see my primary care doctor whose office was in the office wing of that Hospital.

Emma came to pick me up and I saw Dr. Kuo before going home and  I asked him about draining the bursa on my right elbow; he told me it could be done but he strongly advised against doing so because of the very significant danger of getting infection in the elbow.  I accepted his recommendation although I am still annoyed with his tight wrapping of the bursa back in December.
Emma had canceled my appointment with our dermatologist, Dr. Horsley, that morning before she knew what a short hospital stay I was having, but I was able to get in to see him 2 days later and his advice about draining the bursa was the same as that of Dr. Kuo.  This should mollify Mary Steinbach and Jennifer when next I see them.

I had a follow-up appointment with Dr. Wilson on April 5, which was preceded by Hannah timing me doing all of the exercises that I have been doing for therapy since I started doing them at the Wellness center.  Dr. Wilson had these results. but didn't mention them in her review.  She just told me she wants to see me again in 3 months and suggested that we move our bed to the main floor of the house or perhaps invest in a mechanical stair climber.  Nancy had driven us to the hospital and soon started sending me, by e-mail, information on stair climbers such as companies that handle them and places to buy or sell used climbers, with phone numbers and addresses and her recommendation that I follow through, which I am sure she sent to her two sisters.  I did not use any of her info, but I did go back to my 2014 diary enter about my contact with Acorn Stair Lifts and called them.  They didn't recognize me by the new phone number, but when I told them what our old number had been they found a complete record of the call and subsequent visit to the house by a representative and his notes and measurements.  I then talked to a technician and he told they have a representative living near us and he could install a stair climber in a few hours for only $3,600.  I told him they were going to do it for $2,500 in 2014 and he said he would have to get that price authorized by his Superior, which didn't take long and I accepted the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment